Friday, January 2, 2009

Status Permanent

Ok, I don't know whether to laugh or cry, I am both happy and sad at this momentous occasion.

Today I got the paperwork for my newest handicap sticker before the current one expires (we didn't actually pick up the sticker because secretary of state had about a million people inside). My disability is now listed as Permanent Nerve Damage with paralysis.
I will now get a blue sticker, and in June we will likely go for a plate. I feel better knowing that its not going to get better, its kind of a relief, not that it wont improve, but at least now I am not waiting for it to improve, I am adjusting to a new normal and learning how to do things within the scope of my limitations.

I was a bit sad though, since its permanent, I know it may never heal beyond where it is, and all I will be able to do is learn to live with it. I am glad I am seeing a rehab doc since they do help you adjust to the differences. I will now be seeing the neurologist in his office as well, that will help immensely since almost all of my doctors will now be in one place, or at least they will all be sending the referrals and reports to the same place.

No comments: